Thursday, June 3, 2010

Soaked

Well...it's Thursday and I still haven't done my weekend recap...go me!

We had a really nice long weekend. Saturday we went out to breakfast at noon (what?) and then ventured to the East Side of Providence to get Geoffrey some new bike brakes at the bike shop. Somehow we did not know that Brown University's graduation was that day and that part of town was PACKED. We managed to find parking and walked around a little bit before being overcome by the crowd and the humidity. Once we got home we decided to take Bandit on a little hike. The weather said that there was a 30% chance of scattered thunderstorms starting around 6pm, but we got to the trail at 4pm so we figured we were all set. You see where this is going, right? We got about 30 minutes into the woods and the skies openned up and sheets of rain came pouring down on us. Now, I actually like hiking in the rain, especially when it's as hot as it was this weekend. I do not like being in the middle of the woods while it's thundering and lightening. I may have been a little panicky. I may have almost cried a little at first. Geoff may have had to force me to stand under a tree for a few minutes waiting for the storm to pass to keep me from running in the other direction screaming. Anyway, we thought it would pass quickly because of how extremely hard it was raining. I mean...it almost hurt it was raining so hard! Alas, we started hiking back to the car and were poured on the entire way. Poor Bandit, who had been having so much fun on the way into the woods, was not happy that we were "forcing" him to stay outside in the rain. We made it to the car...all very wet.




After dinner, Geoff dropped me off at the Comedy Connection so that I could start "girl's night" with a friend, her friend, and her sister. I had been iffy about going as I was really tired and wasn't sure I would be up for going out, but after getting dressed up I was pumped and ready for the night. Unfortunately, the other girls had spent the day at the beach chasing 2 small children around and were wiped. After the show (9:30ish?) they wanted to go home and go to bed. LAME. I called Geoff and we went out for a drink before heading home for chips and guac and beer in our pajamas. The night turned out a little differently than I had planned, but it was still awesome.

Well that seems long enough for now, so I will fill you in on the rest of my weekend later.

How are you all doing? Anyone like hiking in thunderstorms? :)

7 comments:

CLR said...

Rain is very romantic when there aren't kids involved!

Courtney said...

Omg that is so sad that you got all wet! You're like a poor puppy who didn't want to have his bath.. minus the needing a bath part, I'm sure. I hope you did some serious drying off and cheering up with a nice bottle of wine :)

Annah said...

Hiking in thunderstorms sounds dangerous! And fun :)

Kristy said...

I love comedy shows! How fun! But, sadly, I would probably be a lame one and get off to bed afterwards!

Debbie said...

I love hearing about your weekends, despite the rain. You always sound like you have so much fun. I need to take a cue from you!

Moxie Girl said...

I've gotten caught in a few thunderstorms while hiking and it can be dangerous but exhilarating at the same time! There's just something primal about being out in the elements. Love it. Glad your night ended well despite the tired friends and the wet day.

kathryn said...

Yeah....no, I wouldn't have felt comfortable in the woods in a violent thunderstorm. Being a grown-up and realizing the danger you're potentially facing somehow takes all the fun out of it.

Glad your weekend was fun, despite!