Saturday, January 30, 2010

Winter Un-Blues

Poor Geoff is sick. He is sitting next to me on the couch, sniffling and coughing away as he reads. It's one thing I hate about this time of year...all the coughing and sneezing that everyone does. It makes me edgy. People at work are sick, Geoff is sick, and I'm exhausted. I'm pretty sure my body is in an all out war with billions of little germs. Hopefully it wins.

Though this time of year is far from my favorite, this winter has been much better than last year. Last winter was very hard on me. We had just moved to RI in the fall, and we were flat broke. We were behind on all of our bills (something that bothers me to no end...I always pay them on time!), we didn't know anyone, and we had no money to go out anyway. Right after Christmas I came down with a stomach bug that lasted 12 miserable days. I had no sick days or insurance so I had to go to work anyway for the last half of it. There was no way I could afford to miss that much work. The very day that I finally felt better I slipped in the hallway at work (I was one of 4 to fall that day. They waxed the floors when it was snowy outside so we had wet shoes and waxy floors...) and sprained my foot. It was a pretty bad sprain, and it took a whole week for me to get through all the red tape to have it x-rayed what with the no insurance thing. It was so stressful and awful. I spent most of the winter in our apartment feeling anxious and depressed.

This year so far there are no major illnesses or injuries. I've gotten a grip on my anxiety issues, we know more people down here now, and have been caught up on bills for quite some time. We even have money to go out and have fun from time to time.

Life is never perfect. Things with my dad are still not going well, and I woke up from a horrible dream about it last night and started to cry uncontrollably. I'd say that reaction is from lack of sleep lately and possible PMS. Yes, things are far from perfect, but I am in a much better place than this time last year. I feel happier. I am able to look at life differently than I could then. I am more in love with Geoff everyday. Life is hard, but life is good.

Still...I sure can't wait for Spring to visit again!

How are all of you faring this winter?

9 comments:

Sami said...

Ughhh... I hear ya. This time of year is always tough on me, too. It's still winter, but all the holiday fun-ness is over and I'm so tired of bundling up to go outside!! Want spring... :(

Hang in there, we're all in the same (frozen) boat <3

Debbie said...

Glad to hear how things have turned around this year. I hate winter and this one's been better for us as well for all sorts of reasons. Just like you, waiting on spring!

Lily Johnson said...

Sorry about Geoff. He will be ok. I am glad things are better off for you this year.
Take care

thecheckoutgirl said...

my (un)favorite thing is when I am cashiering and someone says "do you have a trash can back there?" and when I say yes they cram their used coffee cup or tissue into my hand. HELLO! THAT IS DISGUSTING AND DANGEROUS YOU JERK!!

Sigh, I need a job (and a life) where I never have to interact with others.

Kate said...

Hope Geoff feels better soon. I always think January is a month for the blues - hopefully you will have a wonderful rest of the year.

Kate xx
http://secretofficeconfessions.blogspot.com

Dreamfarm Girl said...

Last year sounded rough! Glad things are going better this year for you. I am very hopeful for 2010. But I am ready for spring. Is that so much to ask. Apparently.

Meg said...

ugh, i hate winter a lot..i pretty much would just prefer to hibernate. lately at least it's been sunny, so that makes the -18 slightly more tolerable. i can't wait for spring!

lifelove'n'wine said...

Sami - I know...January is always hardest I think because of the holidays being over and Spring being so far away. At least it's February now!

Debbie - Thanks:) I'm glad this winter is better for you too!

Lily - Geoff is feeling much better today, but thank you for your nice thoughts!

TCG - That is so gross! I had my fair share of horrifying moments working at Subway for 4 years...the stories I could tell.

Kate - Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful rest of the year too:)

Dreamfarm Girl - 2009 definitely had a lot of rough spots, but I am also hopeful for 2010! Here's hoping it's a great year for all of us!

Meg - It has been SO cold lately! The sub makes it a teensy bit more bearable...but oh the pain! It's bad enough in Maine and RI, so I don't even want to THINK about the cold you deal with in Canada.

Kathryn said...

I'm proud of you for recognizing all the improvements in your life over last year. And it does sound like you've come a long way.

It's important to see how far we've come, right??

It'll just keep getting better for you, honey. You totally deserve it.