Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday Fill-ins: The honesty edition

1. The lesson I learned yesterday was sometimes ignorance is bliss. My boss made an awful comment about the Haiti tragedy that I'm glad I didn't hear. A lot of my coworkers were upset by it, and I haven't asked and don't want to know what she said.

2. I have found that here in RI, Twin Oaks is where friends and family meet.

3. All these years I have wanted to travel and never have. Geoff and I made a plan last night. We're working towards saving enough money for at least a month of travel in South America for next year. It has to happen.

4. I had to stop for gas this morning and was late for work. I was a little worried about this, but only 2 other people were here when I arrived.

5. The truth is my father is an alcoholic. He was sober from 1995-2006, but has been drinking since then. My parents divorced that fall, he doesn't work anymore, and he's a mess. He's my daddy, I love him...but he's caused a lot of problems for our family in the past few years, mostly in the past month. It's hard feeling so sad and angry toward someone you love so much. It's hard worrying about someone over the age of 50 because there is nothing you can do to change him. It's just heartbreaking sometimes.

6. Geoff and I went to an outdoor wedding on one of the hottest days in August 2009. Stopping at a lake, stripping off our dressy clothes, and jumping into the water is what I remember most from that day.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to relaxing, tomorrow my plans include going to a beer festival in Boston (YAY!!!) and Sunday, I want to stay in my pjs and watch football!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh, honey. Doesn't it just suck when the people we love don't take care of themselves?? Especially when it's our parents...there's so little control that we have over their choices.

I'm so sorry he's relapsed...I don't know much about addiction, but I do believe it's one of those things that you have to constantly stay on top of...'cause it's so easy (and socially acceptable) to drink...there's temptation everywhere.

I know you must be terribly frustrated...but there's not much you can do, short of threatening him that you won't see him in that state.

I'm sorry. I hope he gets help soon. Honey, we've all got something....if you need to talk, I'm here.

lifelove'n'wine said...

Kathryn - Thank you so much for your comment. It means a lot. I don't think he'll get well soon...according to him this is his life now. "We've all got something" - I know. These hardships in life are horrible and wonderful at the same time...they make us sympathetic to others because you just never know what kind of battle each person is facing.