Monday, November 2, 2009

Why Going out in Costume the Day After Halloween is Always a Good Idea

Halloween weekend. What fun!



Geoff and I knew we wanted to go out and do something for Halloween, but until October 31st we didn't really know what. We still don't know many people down here, and those we do know didn't have any set plans. Last Halloween we had been here for about one month and didn't know a single soul. As it turned out, a friend of ours knew someone down here (Emily) who was having a Halloween party and connected us through Facebook. Emily kindly invited us to the party being thrown at the house she shared with some friends and we decided to attend. Don't get me wrong, I am a shy person and was pretty anxious about going to a party where the only person I had ever even seen before was Geoff, but we dressed up and went anyway. It was a blast! Three floors of crazy fun. I'm so glad that I was brave enough to go.

This year there were no such plans in the works. In the end we decided to attend Waterfire with our friend from college, Mark, who just moved to RI with his girlfriend, Jenny. As of Saturday morning I had no idea what I was going to be. I spent a good part of the day pulling random items of clothing out of closets to try to put something together. This is what I ended up with:

(Note: Pics taken on Sunday night and thus are costume is not as cool as it was on Halloween)








Geoff was a zombie and used ripped clothes for his costume and a red marker ink/toothpaste/cocoa mixture for blood. It was pretty good...I don't have pics unfortunately.

We met up with Jenny and Mark downtown a little after 9pm. It was about 70 degrees but SO WINDY. We're talking serious wind people. And of course it started raining as soon as we got out there...not too hard for most of the night though. They had never attended a Waterfire before so they thought it was pretty cool. It seemed strange to us as the city was pretty deserted. Usually on Waterfire nights you are shoulder to shoulder and heel to toe with people walking along the river. After we walked the length of the river we walked to another part of the city for beers at Trinity. Yum. Mark was sick so they were ready to head home after that. Geoff and I decided to find more fun. He called his friend Peter and we met up with him at a club across town. I had never been there and probably won't go again...it was pretty sleazy. But it was Halloween so who cares? We finally made it home around 3am and made drunk nachos. They were delicous and exactly what we needed.

Sunday, as usual, was a lazy day. We spent most of it on the couch watching football and eating...yeah that's how we roll. Around 7:30pm I was flipping through the Providence Phoenix and saw an ad from the pool hall right down the road from us. It said that if you came in costume on Saturday or Sunday you could play pool for free until 10pm and get a free, one-year VIP membership (which means discounts and stuff). Also there would be a costume contest with cool prizes. I mentioned the ad to Geoff and we thought man...that's cool...too bad we're too tired and lazy to do it! A few minutes later we looked at each other and decided "What the hell? Let's go!" We gathered the pieces of our costumes once more and dressed up for another night out. This is big for us guys...we never go out anymore...too broke. When we got to the pool hall we found that we were the only ones dressed up! Some people were looking at us like "Ummm...Halloween was yesterday?!?" but others were like "You guys rock!" We got in a couple of hours of free pool and got our memberships as well. Two other people showed up in costume while we were there...Death and Little Bo Peep. Cute couple.

Just as we were leaving one of the beer girls (or whatever the girls dressed in Catholic School Girl uniforms who brings me beer are called) came over caring a big case of beer.

"Hey guys, thanks for coming dressed up tonight! Since there wasn't really much competition the owner wanted to give everyone who dressed up some gifts."

Me and Geoff looked at each other and then her. "Sweet."

"He wants you guys to have this case of beer (!!!) and gift certificates too."

"SWEET! Thanks!!"

It was pretty funny walking out of the pool hall in our costumes carrying a case of beer. People driving by were probably a little confused.

While it would have been great to be back in Maine celebrating the weekend with our friends, this weekend turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. What did you do?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have one of my (free!) beers.

11 comments:

Courtney said...

Awe you look great! I love the make-up especially! It's good to hear you went out to a party and did something out of your comfort zone.. that's always exciting :)

f8hasit said...

I love costume parties! It's a shame Halloween is the only time people throw them anymore...

Great costume!
:-)

Kathryn said...

YAY! Free beer! Good for you for dressing up...it sounds like the owners were glad SOMEONE listened to them. The advertising wasn't completely for nothing!

LOVE your black lipstick, sweetie!

Niks La Mode. said...

fabulous!!! lol so nice! and the make up is really convincing... sorry I haven't commented earlier I meant to but been so busy...but I come bearing good news girl ...YOU are the winner of our first giveaway...so come over to my blog http://la-mode-at.blogspot.com to claim your prize!!! & catch up on my posts!. ;)

book*addict said...

Love the costume. too cute. We didn't really do much. WE sat outside handing candy to kids and that's about it. I went to be at like 11 and that was my Halloween. Can't complain though, not much into the scarefest. So glad October is over and we're now in November. Turkey month is definitely my kind of month.
Oh, BTW, suh-wheat on the free beer win

Picture Imperfect said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Your costume is fantastic!

I had a quick and easy costume for work... I put a spike through my head and called myself Hammered! ;o)

Friday night I went out with some friends and stayed in to watch movies on Saturday night. It was all very low key which I appreciate.

Hope you're having a great week!
~Penny

booshy said...

Shameless. I love it.

Allison said...

Thanks for the tip. In an effort to get some free beer, I will convince my husband that dressing up on the day AFTER is wAYYYY cooler!

lifelove'n'wine said...

Courtney - Thank you! Yeah, I'm glad I did too:)

f8hasit - I love them too...dressing up is so much fun! And thanks:)

Kathryn - Haha, yeah it was pretty awesome! Glad I saw the ad!

Niks La Mode - Whhheee!!! Thanks! I emailed you earlier this week!

book*addict - Thanks:) I like November a lot too...good food and it's my birthday month!

Picture Imperfect - Thanks:) Sounds like your costume was pretty good too, haha. Also sounds like a great Halloween weekend...glad you had fun!

Allison - Do it!

John said...

Epic. Win.

Anonymous said...

Greetings I am so excited I found your site, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else,
Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a
fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all
at the minute but I have book-marked it and also included your
RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more,
Please do keep up the superb jo.

My page ... Painting company in oakville