Friday, November 13, 2009

The Time I Almost Got the Boot

As life has been pretty uneventful lately, I figured I'd share with you another adventure from my Subway days.

During my summers as a Sandwich Artisit, I was often chosen to either open or close the store as I was more trustworthy and more all around awesome than the other kids that worked there. That's right. I actually cared a little about my Sandwich Artist duties.

In the summertime we were open until 11pm or midnight, and because it was a small store I was often working alone for the last hour or two. This was fine, but sometimes a little creepy. While the store was in a plaza, everything else there was closed by 9pm. This store was in a small town in Maine and there really wasn't a lot going on around me. At times it felt a little eerie walking to my car across the empty parking lot. Working inside the store alone didn't bother me too much, however, as most everyone that came in at night was a regular, a teenager, or a frantic mom.

One night I had a group of camp kids come in right before close and I wasn't able to get them all served and out the door until about 15 minutes after close. Because I was in a rush, I forgot to lock the door. A few minutes into my closing duties, I heard the bell go off indicating that someone was entering the store. "Shit" I thought to myself as I scurried back to the front.

When I got to the register my jaw dropped. A short and stout older man (who looked like a hobo) was walking toward me wearing a winter hat, raggedy smelly clothes, a long snarled beard, and a few layers of grime. He was carrying a boot. A tall rubber looking boot.

I thought, "Holy crap I'm about to get robbed. This is it. There's probably a gun in the boot." That was the only logical explanation...right? Right?

"I...I'm sorry sir, but we're closed."

"That's ok. I'm not here for a sandwich."

(ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod! I should push the panic button. Should I push the panic button? ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod)

"I...I'm sorry?"

He reached the register and set his boot on the counter in front of me.

"Can you tell me how to get to (insert place I've forgotten here)."

"Um...sure...it's (insert random directions here)."

The conversation went back and forth like this...he wasn't understanding my directions, but a lot of the things he was saying just weren't making sense. I was sure I was about to be murdered. After what seemed like a long, twisty conversation, he picked up his boot.

"Ok, thanks."

"Y...your welcome!"

He left.

I was still shaken, but wasn't really sure why. I felt bad that I had just figured this smelly old man with the boot wanted to rob me just because he looked homeless...but the "I'm not here for a sandwich" line really set off the *FREAK OUT NOW* alert in my head for some reason. I finished closing up still feeling nervous, and was wondering if he'd be waiting outside in the parking lot for me. He wasn't.

Looking back I'm pretty sure he was just a drunk, homeless dude lugging booze around in a boot. Hopefully he and his booze-boot got whereever it was they needed to go.

14 comments:

Smileyfreak said...

That is so funny!! :) Poor you though,it must have been scary at the time

Sami said...

Mmm... stinky booze-boot... I would have freaked out too!!

book*addict said...

No shame in thinking the worse. I totally would've pushed that panic button, but that's only because I'm terrified of someone (man or women) raping me. That's my only realistic fear.
BTW, until now I was reading your responses to comments..so..HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONTH!!! what day is it exactly? or did i miss it?

Debbie said...

A whole new meaning to bootlegger! Good thing you ended up safe though.

Dreamfarm Girl said...

That is a pretty scary story. But you can be happy you lived to see the day you got a Superior Scribbler Award! Um, that would be today, from me...come on by www.dreamfarmgirl.blogspot.com and pick it up!

KG said...

oh my god I would be sooo freaked out!

P.S. www.thelivinpartoflife.blogspot.com

I'm baaaackkk. :)

CLR said...

FREAKY!!!!!

Niks La Mode. said...

ouch! crazy!!! but Thank God nothing happened!

Niks La Mode. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea Rouda said...

What a non-story. Also, check for typos before you publish....boring is one thing, error-ridden is another.

lifelove'n'wine said...

Smileyfreak - It was!

Sami - Haha, it was pretty creepy. Especially for a teenage girl alone at night I guess.

book*addict - Thank you! My birthday is on November 28th so you haven't missed it yet:)

Debbie - Haha, bootlegger.

Dreamfarm Girl - Awww, thank you! That's so sweet:) I'm glad you enjoy the blog!

KG - YAAAAAAY!

CLR - It really was!

Niks - Yeah, it seemed pretty crazy in that moment.

Andrea - I'll be the first to admit that this is not one of my better posts. I usually do proof my posts before publishing, but I guess I had Friday brain that day, oops! On a side note, I never really understood the purpose of leaving mean comments on posts. Thanks for stopping by anyway.

Picture Imperfect said...

Better worried about nothing than in trouble because you didn't worry!!!

(a pox on rude commenters!!! If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!)

Hope you're having a great day!

~Penny

Kathryn said...

"Booze-boot"....ha!

Oh, you poor thing! Did we learn anything from this story, grasshopper?

Would you have felt more comfortable had he carried his bottle of booze in say, a mailbox? A fashionable mailbox...with some faux fur trim, perhaps?

lifelove'n'wine said...

Picture - Thanks for the kind comment as always:) Hope you're having a great day too!

Kathryn - It would have been WAY better if it was a fur-trimmed mailbox instead of a big, smelly, rubber boot. Although no less strange...