Monday, November 23, 2009

More than You Ever Needed to Know About Me...but I'm Awesome and Superior so Deal with It (please?)

Anyway, last week I was given two awards by two lovely bloggers! The first is the awesome blogger award and it was passed along to me by Smileyfreak. She is a very nice girl and always leaves me wonderful comments. Thanks Smileyfreak!

The rules of this award are:

1. Thank whoever gave you the award.

2. Copy and post the award to your blog.

3. Tell your readers 7 things they don't know about you.

4. Give the award to 7 bloggers.

5. Keep being awesome.

Alright, let's start by talking about me, because apparently I am awesome! Here are 7 things most of you probably don't know about me:

1. One of my best friends from high school and my best friend from college are marrying each other in June of 2010. I'll be in the wedding, and I'm very happy for them! I'm also a little worried about them as they tend to do the on again off again thing every now and then...here's hoping they'll have a long, happy life together!

2. I love helping people and I want to get back into working in non-profit organizations. My dream is to someday open my own non-profit and travel the world helping others. I was lucky enough to be born in a country where I have freedom and many rights that others in the world do not have. I believe that since I've been given this chance it is my responsibility to help others who are less fortunate.

3. My brother is a Marine and he will be home for Christmas this year!

4. I am terrible at hiding how I'm feeling and I'm also a very emotional person. I cry at commercials, I'll laugh at most anything, and I get irritated easily. Whether I'm happy, sad, or angry...you'll know it. Which is why I can never do the "What's wrong?" "NOTHING." thing with Geoff as my "NOTHING" always sounds like something.

5. I LOVE camping. It is one of my favorite past times. I don't mean on a nice campground with a pool and a playground, either. I mean in middle of the Green Mountain National Forest of Vermont with no one around for miles but Geoff, Bandit, me, and the mountains and river. It depresses me to see that other people leave their trash and belongings behind in this beautiful landscape. I hate cleaning up other people's garbage...but I hate seeing this amazing land treated like a dump even more. I can't even explain how much I adore the tent, the campfire, and the great outdoors. Talking about it now makes me wish the camping season wasn't so far away!

6. I love playing Mario Party but hate most other video games.

7. I grew up in Maine but have never been skiing or snowboarding and as much as I'd love to learn, I'm pretty sure that I'm too much of a wimp to ever actually do it. I'm not very athletic or coordinated so sliding down a mountain on my feet probably wouldn't end well for me.

Now to pass the award along to others!

Amblus - She is a fun, quirky read. I love her biking stories as well as the funny things in her day to day life. You must at least check out the post about the greatest butternut squash you'll ever see.

f8hasit - I love her blog! She is a wonderful writer and always has a good post to read. She also has a great sense of humor. And she does a "Follower of Note" segment that can help you find even more great bloggers! Go see her!

From the Inside...Out - Kathryn is fantastic. She is always good for a laugh and her posts are all so creative! You really never know what you're going to get...but it's always worth your time and you'll be glad you stopped by. Plus in her welcome section she invites you to pour yourself a glass of wine and join in a toast...so yeah. Awesome.

Picture Imperfect - Penny is an amazing photographer. All of her posts are accompanied by beautiful photos she has taken. I am so jealous of her talent, but so thankful that she shares it with others. She is also a fun read. Thanks for blogging, Penny!

Ok, I am only passing this award onto 4 people as you can see, but it's because I also got presented with another award, and I'm too lazy to pass these on to so many people.



This award came from Dreamfarm Girl, and it's the Superior Scribbler award! As she said, I already have one, but I'd love to have two! Thank you so much! Before you finish reading this post (or when you're finished, whatever) go visit her. She's delightful!

The rules are the same as the other award above so here are 7 more things about me (gah! the pressure!):

1. I am an absolute sucker for holiday specials. I watch the same ones every year, and it drives Geoff crazy (he's not so much of a fan). Of course there are the Peanuts specials...Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, but I don't stop there. I also have to watch Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, Garfield Christmas, A Christmas Story, and It's a Wonderful Life (though I do miss that one from time to time). Every year, without fail, you will find me spending the weeks leading up to Christmas watching these. Yes, I'm a sap. I don't care.

2. I am constantly battling between wanting to move back to Maine and wanting to move far away (the west coast? Europe?). I can't seem to think of a happy medium between my strong desire to travel and my serious homesickness.

3. Geoff and I met at work in the summer of 2006. We were both working for the same nonprofit and discovered that we also had the same major at the same school and would have two classes together the upcoming semester. I had just become single for the first time in a long time that spring and was planning on staying single for awhile. Geoff was supposed to be a summer fling at the most. Obviously it didn't quite work out that way. :)

4. I am turning 25 the Saturday after Thanksgiving. That is less than a week away. I am not super happy about this.

5. I play fantasy football. I've been a football fan for quite a long time, but I usually would watch all of the Patriots games and only a handful of other games each week. This year Geoff and his friends needed another person to join their fantasy league so I signed up. I love it. I have become way more interested in all of the NFL games and I listen to sports radio more often so I can get updates on players. My record so far is 8 wins 3 losses. I'm kicking some serious ass on those boys! I actually played Geoff's team last week and won...he was not too happy. His friends made fun of him...but I've won against most of them too so I don't think they have much room for talking.

6. I'm not much of a pie person. I love most desserts...cakes, cookies, brownies, etc. Pie...not so much. The only kind of pie I actually do like is pumpkin pie, and that is one of my all time favorite desserts. Yum.

7. I love to learn. I am really such a geek. I love science, politics, international studies, sociology, psychology, literature, and so much more. I always was a great student and while no part of me misses homework, I do miss school. I will have to go back sometime soon.

And now to pass this on to others!

Island Roar - I actually just started reading this blog very recently...and I found her through f8hasit's Follower of Note section! She's also an amazing writer. When reading her words I feel like I'm being transported the the time and place that she's describing. Good read. Go!

Lost in Thought - I found Meg when she started following me, and I'm so glad I did! If you're a dog lover like myself, you do not want to miss Furry Fridays when she posts pictures and stories from the dog shelter she volunteers at. If you're just looking for a good story, check out her Travel Tuesdays where she posts about her travels in Europe. Those ones always make me laugh:)
Jen's Voices - I was actually just noticing that Jen has received a lot of awards lately...but she deserves it! I am always so excited to see that she has a new post waiting to be read in my Google Reader. Her PSAs are the best!

The Checkout Girl - Some of you may have been lucky enough to have already discovered TCG. If not, this is your lucky day. TCG's blog shares the humor and ridiculousness in everyday life as a...well...checkout girl. Having worked in retail and food for minimum wage myself, I find so many of her posts to be funny and true. She's such a great writer that I actually read her entire blog last week. Yeah, go see her.

That's all for now! I'll try to do a post about my weekend later today. How is everyone? I know I've been blogging less lately...I miss my bloggy buddies!

12 comments:

Amblus said...

Thanks for reading and thanks for the award! I'll get to working on that.

JenJen said...

Jen
Thanks for the shout~ and I can't wait to read the blogs I'm not familiar with.
I just received this award from Country Gone City--you guys think I'm so...*sniff, sob* special...I CAN'T STAND IT.

Oh. and. 25 is nothing. Thirty sucked. Thirty-five, double suck-o.

Sorry.

JenJen said...

oh!
I can't believe I wasn't a follower....I just tipped you to 40!

Meg said...

dude, thanks for the award!! yay!

also...Christmas specials are quite possibly the best thing ever. I think my favourites ones of all time are Garfield and For Better or For Worse. Can't wait!!

carissajaded said...

I also cry at every commercial...and completely wear my emotion on my sleeve...

Also love Mario party and camping. Not so much on the fantasy football...

Have to check out these other sites!!

Kathryn said...

Aw! Thanks, Jen!! You're such a sweetie! I am UBER behind on posting my awards, but I'll get there...promise.

Loved learning more about you! Congrats on receiving 2 lovely awards-you totally deserve 'em. And congrats to the other lucky recipients as well. Love having good recommendations!

mepsipax said...

Oh gawds.... Way to many rules. 1st rule of blog club... Nobody talks about... Ok that joke was lame. My bad.

Sami said...

YES!!! Holiday specials!!! I love 'em too, I can't get enough of the Peanuts ones, and all the great ones around Christmas... makes me feel like a kid again. :)

Dreamfarm Girl said...

Can't wait to check out your recommendations. And I'm glad you WERE happy to get the second Superior Scribbler Award. That makes you a Super Superior Scribbler!

Picture Imperfect said...

Aw... thank you Jen! :o) *hugs* You're such a sweetie.

This is going straight up on my sidebar and *soon* I am going to take care of the passing along. :o)

Hope you have a superb Wednesday amiga!

thecheckoutgirl said...

Jen-
What a nice compliment. I've gained a few readers from you and couldn't be happier. You have great followers! Thanks so much.
-TCG

Anonymous said...

interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you learn that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.