Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Many Dangers of Oat Bran

Well I'm still sick and actually feel worse today than yesterday. What the hell, cold?

This morning I had too unfortunate incidents with oat bran.

Now, I like oat bran, but not oatmeal. I think it's a texture thing. It just tastes so yummy with cinnamon and brown sugar. So this morning I decided to have some for breakfast before work instead of my usual peanut butter toast. I figured it would feel better on my throat.

Unfortunately, after making this decision I realized that both my small pots and all of my bowls were in the dishwater. Dirty. Yeah, I'm a domestic goddess. To improvise I decided to cook it in a tupperware bowl in the microwave. Win!

When the microwave beeped I scurried to it, excited for my breakfast. Upon opening the door I found that my oat bran had all boiled over and was puddled on the tray. I mean there was nothing left in the bowl, but there was stuff oozed all over the outside of it. I looked at it, sighed, and went over my options. I didn't have enough time to make another breakfast. Our microwave tray is covered by this thin protective mat that is easy to remove and clean.
Ours is white
So...I wiped the bowl down with a paper towel, placed it in front of the microwave, peeled off the mat with both hands, and funneled the oat bran back into the bowl. It all slipped right back in! This is only a little gross...right? I mean it can't have been that long since I cleaned the thing. Riiiiight. Stop judging me!

Next I sat down in front of the computer with my bowl. I was happily reading emails, sipping tea, and eating my breakfast when I suddenly had to sneeze. I tried to finish chewing and swallowing my I couldn't...this sneeze was coming. I plugged my nose (I don't know why but many times when I sneeze I do this) and sneezed. I opened my eyes to see oat bran all over the computer monitor. Awesome.

How was your morning?

12 comments:

CLR said...

My morning is funny now.. thanks!

Picture Imperfect said...

Oh dear... can't help but giggle at your story. :o) Your poor nose! How did you get that oat bran off the monitor? lol

My morning has been uneventful and boring, compared to yours! ;o)

Meg said...

haha, ugh that's sucky. My morning wasn't nearly as eventful. I honestly cannot even remember what happened this morning, so that shows how exciting my day has been so far!

book*addict said...

oooh, that sucks. Has happened to me several times and am EXTREMELY happy that my hubby isn't here to see that.
My morning has been lame...my almost two-year-old S doesn't like to entertain me. selfish, right?

Kathryn said...

Oh, you poor thing! That oatmeal was obviously not meant to be...you were just being incredibly stubborn!

Maybe it's time for a trip to the doctor??

I sense some antibiotics in your future.

Feel better!

Debbie said...

Being an oatmeal eater, I've had this happen to me. I can't say I did what you did, although I don't have that neat cover thingy that you do. This has also happened once at work. No telling the last time that micro was cleaned! So I was SOL.

Dreamfarm Girl said...

Oh, that was a good one! I laughed so hard I went into a coughing fit. (I, too, am getting over being sick.) I'm sorry you had to clean it all up.

Smileyfreak said...

Hello!! There is an award for you on my blog!! :) Cograts!

Niks La Mode. said...

so funny!

JD at I Do Things said...

Bleeurgh!

The other night I had steamed mixed vegetables in the microwave and was draining them over the sink when 2/3 of the veggies fell into the sink. This wouldn't have been so bad, but there was visible cat food in the sink. I had to let them go.

Courtney said...

Well, at least you ate! That's better than most of America.

Oh man, nothing bothers me more than a gross ass dirty microwave. IckY!! :(

lifelove'n'wine said...

Christie - Haha, anytime!

Picture - I actually had to laugh while writing it too. It was just ridiculous! Luckily I had a paper towel and a cup of water handy so it all came off the monitor easily.

Meg - Yeah, it wasn't the best way to start a day.

book*addict - I thought two-year-olds were made just for entertainment? Someone should probably explain that to S.

Kathryn - I really hope to feel better soon! And I'm nothing if not stubborn.

Debbie - They should have warnings on the box. I mean, they give you microwave instructions but they don't say "Your whole breakfast will end up on the tray of the microwave"

Dreamfarm Girl - Welcome! And glad I could make you laugh:) I hope you feel better!

Smileyfreak - Wheee! I will head over to see it right now!

Niks - Thanks:)

JD - Ugh, I hate it when these things happen! So very sad.

Courtney - True. I know that this is a very suburban America problem.