Monday, October 5, 2009

Munchie Mondays - Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies!

I was in an autumn mood this weekend so on Saturday I made pumpkin whoopie pies! Geoff's mom has a great recipe that I need to get, but for this occasion I just googled a recipe (I forget what website I got it from now) and they came out great!

Cookie Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp all spice or cloves)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Filling Ingredients:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

Instructions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F
2. Combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter in large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy. 4. Add pumpkin, milk, egg and vanilla; beat until well mixed.
5. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture. Beat until well mixed.
6. Drop batter by level measuring tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Move to cooling rack and cool completely.
7. Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients except powdered sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, until smooth.
8. Gradually add 4 cups powdered sugar, beating well after each addition until creamy.
9. Spread 2 teaspoons filling onto bottom-side of 1 cookie. Top with another cookie, bottom-side down. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.

Now the recipe said that it made 2 1/2 dozen mini whoopie pies, so I cut the recipe in half and ended up with eight...not sure what happened there. These are the perfect fall dessert and I am looking forward to going home this afternoon and having another one! Please try this...so good!





Enjoy!

3 comments:

Boots McGee said...

I'm thinking you should mail some of those out my way, cause yeah. That cooking thing and me...we don't get along. :)

lifelove'n'wine said...

Haha, we didn't get along well either until I forced myself to like it...I'm still not sure I actually like the cooking process, but I sure do love the result!

craftygal86 said...

yum! Those look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe =D