Monday, October 19, 2009

Fun, Cuteness, and 2 Blowouts

Warning: This post is long. But there are cute pictures at the end.

Well, I had a nice weekend.

Friday morning I threw chili together in the crockpot and let it cook all day. It started off a little busy after work on Friday. Geoff was still at work and his brother, B, was at our apartment watching Season 1 of Lost. They had gone to the Patriots Hall of Fame earlier in the day and had a good time. As soon as I got home I walked Bandit, threw the guest bedding into the washer, and began baking B a birthday cake and frosting...from scratch. I've never done a cake from scratch before. It wasn't too hard, but it didn't come out as well as I had hoped. The frosting was great and the cake tasted pretty good, but the texture of the cake was a little dry and stiff. I'll have to try something different next time.

Anyway, I left the cake baking in the oven while I went to pick up Geoff and had B pull it out for me when the timer went off. When Geoff and I came back we all sat in the living room with our bowls of chili and ate. So. Freaking. Delicious. Seriously. Just thinking about it now is making me hungry.

We had a nice time eating, drinking black and tans, and chatting. I've never gotten to hang out with B without his kids around so that was nice.

Saturday morning B had to leave early to pick up his girls. Geoff and I slept in VERY late (11:30ish) and it felt really nice. I can never sleep past 8am, even on the weekend, so it was great to get caught up on some sleep. After breakfast and packing we headed up to B's house in NH with the leftover chili and cake in hand. We didn't get there until a little after 4pm, and the girls (R is 4, M is 2) stood in the door and yelled "HI UNCLE GEOFFREY, HI AUNTIE JEN, HI BANDIT! HIIII!!!!" So cute and a nice welcome.

After collecting our hugs and kisses we hung around playing and chatting until there was a knock at the door. The couple from the other side of the duplex were building a fire in the fire pit and wanted to know if we'd all like to join them. We bundled the girls and headed out side. Geoff, B, and the kid from next store tossed the football around, the girls alternated between building sand castles in the driveway and throwing sticks into the fire, and Bandit ran circles around the property. The place is very rural and set back into the woods with a beautiful view of a pond and fall foliage. We stayed outside until a little after dark and then headed indoors for leftover chili.

After the girls were in bed, B left for the store to get food and beer. Geoff and I played Wii sports (I won at tennis, he kicked my a** at boxing) until he returned. At that time we all played Mario Party 8 on the Wii. I was terrible, but it was still a lot of fun. By the time we went to bed at 1am Geoff and I (and Bandit!) were exhausted.

Sunday morning we were awakened by the girls crying for their daddy to come get them up. We had a yummy breakfast of whole wheat pancakes and then headed downstairs to the couch. While the girls and B watched Snow White Geoff and I did a crossword. When football started we hardly moved from the couch except for a delicous lunch/dinner of steak, broccoli, and rice that B made for us.

The Patriots kicked major butt! They won 59-0. It was great to watch, though I couldn't help but think of how we had to drive through the snow that they were playing in that night. Yikes! We hit the road around 7:45 and couldn't believe the snow once we hit Massachusetts! There had to be 1-2 inches in some places...on October 18th! Unbelievable.

We were about 45 minutes from home when we heard a sound indicating that one of our tires was getting low. Geoff felt sure that we'd make it home no problem. I wasn't so sure as the sound seemed pretty loud. About 25 minutes later the tire blew and we had to pull over. I felt about one moment of panic (it was after 10pm, we were tired, had to get up early for work, and OMG would we have to wait for AAA? We all know how that goes!), but then collected myself. We had all of the supplies we needed in the car and Geoff is very handy. I grabbed our emergency kit and Geoff got the jack and the spare tire. He set up the little orange triangle to warn oncoming traffic that we were there, I held a flashlight for him, and he set about changing the tire. About fifteen minutes later we were back on the road. I love that man...he's just plain awesome. Right now I have the spare tire on the car so I will have to get a new tire put on this week. That kind of sucks as we are already very broke, but it could have been worse!

All weekend the girls were just adorable. M repeats a lot of things (or tries anyway) that R says and it is so cute to see her try to be like her sister. R talks A LOT and comes up with silly games to play. It was so great to see them. R is so tall now, long and lean, and such a kid...not a baby anymore. M is a peanut like she has been since birth, and is the size her sister was at age 1 except with smaller features. The cuteness is multiplied by the tininess on that one! The fussing and fighting was reaching full throttle by the time it was time for us to leave, however, and we were happy to leave the girls behind with B, haha. I can't wait to see them again!

I know I promised to take pictures, but we all know I never do. I did get my hands on some pics from R's birthday party last week, however.


M being held up so she can play air hockey.



M going crazy with Whack-a-Mole



M being ridiculously cute.

R loving her big girl bike

R playing air hockey

Too cute, right?

How was your weekend?

10 comments:

CLR said...

Look at those puppy-dog eyes! She's precious.

Boots the Awesome said...

Go Geoff for saving the day!
However, I'm sure he couldn't have done it without your supervision. ;)

book*addict said...

Those girls are going to br trouble when they're older. jajaja, they're adorable. =D

Allison said...

CUTEST. THING. EVER.

Debbie said...

You have the most fulfilling weekends, I swear! Other than the tire and the snow (saw that on tv watching football), sounds like you had a great time. No snow here, but it felt pretty close at times.

Courtney said...

Too cute! You have such a fun life, always going and doing things. I get very jealous and Wow.. I kinda miss playing air hockey

Smileyfreak said...

Thanks for another brill blog!
well done for baking a cake from scratch and taking time to celebrate.A tip on the cake baking front-after you measure the flour take away 1 big spoon amount.I find it helps to avoid the dryness you mentioned.Good Luck in future baking endeavours!

Smileyfreak :)x!

lifelove'n'wine said...

Christie - I know, I love them both:)

Boots - Haha, I'm pretty sure he could have. He was a hero.

book*addict - I know! I tell their dad that all the time. They already have him wrapped around their fingers!

Allison - Agreed.

Debbie - It was a very nice weekend:) The snow thing was crazy. I was watching the game thinking "ohhh noooo!"

Courtney - Haha, it may seem that way but it makes me laugh that you say that. I actually have a very boring life and hardly get to go out at all. I have had some busy weekends lately which has been a nice change.

Smileyfreak - Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the tip! I will definitely try that next time.

Kathryn said...

OMG! You should have heard the gasp when the photos came up...da girls are ADORABLE.......just gorgeous!!!

Sounds like you had an awesome time, sweetie.

Now I'm in the mood for chili...thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

gszfqykuygrzhtylpzntw. acne treatment
hqwlpx