Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Jen the...runner?

Yesterday I ran.

This might seem like nothing to you people...especially when you find out how much I ran (not much). Let me give you a little background. I HATE RUNNING. People who run for fun confuse me because running? Not fun. I make fun of those people. Why run when you can sit around eating? I've only ever tried it a few times and in my experience everything they say about it is one big fat lie. It doesn't give me more energy, it makes me more tired. It doesn't make me feel good, it makes me feel sick. It doesn't help me sleep better, it makes me sleep the same (not much) only then I'm sore. RUNNING SUCKS! Also, though I like to bike and hike I like to do so leisurely. I may be thin, but I am VERY out of shape. The slightest bit of exercise leaves me pretty winded.

So let me repeat myself.

Yesterday. I. Ran.

And I didn't hate it.

In fact, I kind of LIKED it.

And I plan on running again...maybe even REGULARLY.

I was inspired by a post I saw over at PooBou.com, where Cindy (the blogger there) started the Couch-to-5K running plan. I checked out the site and was all...I could TOTALLY do that! So I stopped at Target on the way home yesterday and bought a sports bra (yes, that's how much I work out...didn't even own a sports bra) and a cheap little watch with the stop watch/timer capibilities. When I got home...I ran. Only a little, but still. This being my first week I'm supposed to switch off between running for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds for twenty minutes. I know, I know...soooo easy right? Not for me. Actually, it was both easier and harder than I thought it would be. But you know what? I felt GOOD after. Ok...really I felt sweaty, a little shaky, tired, and a little sore. But I felt happy! Proud even! I motivated myself to run even though I was tired after work...and I didn't give up on the running parts even at the end when it was getting really hard (because hills? OH MY GOD I HATE THEM). I was all...whooo! I'm so awesome! I'm a runner!

Well, I will be.

Someday.

Today, my poor leggies are pretty sore...but I like that! I plan on running again tomorrow. My goal is to run in the Beach to Beacon (that's a 10k!) in Maine next summer.

Hopefully my legs will have stopped hurting by then.

7 comments:

Petrop the Awesome said...

Oh my god. You're becoming one of *them*!!
I stick by my absolute hatred of running...now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for me to go get my fat on. :)

lifelove'n'wine said...

I know, I know. I really can't believe it. We'll see how long it lasts.

I figure this way I'll feel less guilty when I eat junk food. Oh wait...that never made me feel guilty...

*uncorked said...

I'm so in the same position. I used to make fun of them all the time, but damn it, running will take extra pounds off, so I tried it. Didn't hate it. I can't run very fast or very far, but I'm okay with that.

lifelove'n'wine said...

I don't run very fast either. My goal is to be more in shape/healthy and to feel better about my legs. Freaking thighs have always been my "problem area" so I'm glad that they're sore today!

KG said...

It's KG... cheerfulandhappy is gone, Richmond somehow heard about it and read it and was really pissed that I put his texts to me on the internet and now I think I've lost my shot for good. I decided it'd be best to just delete so I don't get myself into anymore trouble with it. I basically drove 160 miles today to be re-dumped in new words and sent on my way. and now he doesn't want to be friends. and I understand - I shouldn't have posted his texts, I just didn't even know anyone even read my blog! Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed and upset with myself for ruining my chances. I will absolutely continue to check in and you can email me glasska@vt.edu if you want!

KG said...

now that i've calmed down i've determined he was slightly out of line for being pissed at me. really, it's not that big of a deal that i posted about him. he's the one who can't make up his mind. and who told me he wanted me to come today only to recrush me. my blog is my space and it's not like anyone even knows a whole lot about him. definitely not enough to know who he is. (I've never even posted a picture of him!) overall i am just beyond frustrated by this entire situation. i might start my blog up again after things cool off a little bit - i have 90 days to restore it if i want - if so i'll let you know!

Gina said...

Congratulations on finding joy in running! I love to jog outside, and prefer nature trails or neighborhoods. I can't stand the gym, but I thoroughly enjoy a good jog! It gives you time to think and relax and reflect. Plus, when you jog intervals (the 60 second/90 second/5 minute type), then it's goal oriented, which makes you feel more accomplished and even better about yourself =)

Best of luck! Keep us updated!