Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Oh boys

Boys.

So dumb.

My mom told me a story about my brother a couple of weeks ago that I want to share. My brother Bobby is 20, loves fishing, is a Marine stationed in North Carolina for the time-being, and has a girlfriend who has been with him since their junior year of high school. We'll call her C. C is a good girl. She's smart, going to college, active in lots of sports and clubs, and isn't much into drinking and partying. Despite all of this she puts up with my brother who chose to go into the military and LOVES to party. And fish. Let's not forget that he has always loved to fish.

Obviously with her in school in New England and him stationed anywhere from North Carolina to Afghanistan they don't get to see each other very much. When the times come that they do get to visit, they both get very excited.

C had been in Maine all summer and Bobby has been in NC dealing with military crap during the week and fishing with his buddies on the weekends. They got to see each other a little in early July when he was home on leave. C went back to school in southern New England starting Labor Day weekend, and they were both excited as they had made plans for Bobby to drive up and visit her because of the long weekend.

On the Friday of that weekend Bobby called my mom and related the following story to her.

Apparently, for two weeks only there are these HUGE fish that run through where my brother and his friends have been fishing. He got to spend one weekend catching them, but the next weekend was going to overlap with a previous engagement.

He called C the day before (maybe even the day of) he was supposed to leave to visit and said "Hey, I'm not coming. I'm going fishing."

C doesn't swear. C doesn't get upset easily or freak out. C is a very understanding girl.

C lost her shit.

"Bobby, you are coming up here! You made plans with me and my friends and you are f***ing coming! Don't you dare even THINK about going fishing instead!" There was more...but I'm pretty sure it all sounded a lot like that.

Bobby told this story to my mom as he was driving up to see C (haha). My mom scolded him for being such a jerk.

Bobby: "I didn't think it would be a big deal! I didn't know she'd get so upset!"

Mom: *Sigh*

Hopefully it's a lesson well learned for that boy. C...you go girl!

4 comments:

KG said...

I'm not sure if it's a military thing or just a 'possessing a penis' thing but I can definitely feel for C! Good for her, and good for your mom for putting him in his place. I often have to remind my brother that being an asshole is not allowed. ever. haha.

Gina said...

Boys just don't get it. I love my boyfriend very very much, but he once pulled something similar. But I see him A LOT more than C sees your brother. At least he wisened up and went after her =)

lifelove'n'wine said...

Hi KG! I miss your blog, but I'm so glad you're still reading! I know, I can't believe he didn't think it would be a big deal. He's usually pretty good to her, but this time was a big FAIL.

Gina, I know, my boyfriend has also done similar things. What is it about them that they can't see why certain things are so upsetting? I am glad he went, and I think it's funny now. I hope she gave him a hard time about it once he got there, haha.

Debbie said...

Good for her! Guys need a kick in the pants sometimes, including brothers. :)