Monday, September 14, 2009

Munchie Mondays - Ravioli Lasagna

Hello all! I hope you had a fabulous weekend. I know I did, but I'll share that in a later post.

Today I will share a recipe for Ravioli Lasagna that I found over at *uncorked awhile ago. I tried this recipe a few weeks ago, and while I ran into a little trouble it was DELICOUS. I know I say that about lots of recipes...but I wouldn't share them with you if I didn't love them!

I did things a little differently than she did, so I'll post the original recipe here and then share the changes that I made.

Ingredients:
1 24-26 oz. jar of marina sauce
2 20 oz. packages of refridgerated cheese ravioli
1 10 oz. box of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess liquid
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spoon a thin layer of sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
3. On top of the sauce, layer a third of the ravioli, half of the spinach, half of the mozzarella, and a third of the sauce; repeat.
4. Top with remaining ravioli and sauce. sprinkle with parmesan.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese is bubbling, 5-10 additional minutes.

Yum! Ok, now for what I really did. I always make my own sauce, and I use diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, pepper, oregano, olive oil...sometimes some other seasonings. I also substituted hamburger for the spinach because me and the boy are meat eaters...hard core. So while the ravioli was cooking I made my own sauce while cooking up some hamburger with garlic and oregano.

Next time I will make a less chunky sauce because oh my god. While this ended up delicious it was a pain in the ass to put together without the proper type of sauce. It was too chunky to spread and I was having major difficulties. I ended up not having enough sauce to cover the whole thing so I had to add a tiny bit of jarred pizza sauce as an emergency substitution. Everything came out fine though and Geoff and I were both pleasantly surprised by the final product. It smelled and tasted AMAZING. I can't wait to try it again.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

*uncorked said...

Oh my gosh - I just wandered over here to see what you were up to and saw that you made this! I would definitely make this again with meat instead of the spinach any day. I am such a carnivore too. Glad you enjoyed it!

Gina said...

Sounds delicious!

lifelove'n'wine said...

*uncorked - Thanks for being the first to post the recipe! It was a great idea, and I highly recommend trying it with meat:)

Gina - Try it! Its yummy and easy!