Monday, August 31, 2009

Munchie Mondays - Southwestern Chili Pasta

Happy Monday everyone! About two weeks ago I found this recipe for Southwestern Chili Pasta on Delish.com and knew I had to try it. Geoff and I love southwestern food, chili, and pasta...so perfect! (I have a picture that I'll add later)

Ingredients:
1 package (16-ounce) wagonwheel or ziti pasta
2 teaspoon(s) vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 pound(s) lean ground beef
2 tablespoon(s) chili powder
1 teaspoon(s) unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
Salt
1 can (14- to 14 1/2-ounce) stewed tomatoes
1 can (15- to 19-ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
Sour cream (optional)


Instructions:
1.Boil water, add pasta and cook as directed.
2.Meanwhile, in nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and red pepper, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Transfer onion mixture to small bowl.
3.In same skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until browned, breaking up beef with side of spoon. Discard any fat from skillet. Stir chili powder, cocoa, cumin, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt into beef in skillet; cook 1 minute.
4.Return onion mixture to skillet; stir in stewed tomatoes, beans, and water. Heat mixture to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon.
5.Drain pasta and return to saucepot. Add chili mixture to pasta in saucepot; stir until combined. Serve pasta with cheddar and sour cream if you like.


This was so yummy! I used diced tomatoes instead of stewed as that's what I always have on hand, and I also used garbanzo beans instead of black beans because that's what I had. I also left out the sour cream because blech...we are not big fans. It came out great, though next time I'll do both garbanzo AND black beans. I also had to used penne instead of wagon-wheel pasta which was disappointing...I think the wagon wheels would have been more fun!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

KG said...

oh my god jen that sounds amazing! i think this recipe is worth a trip to the grocery store and an attempt to use the kitchen at the end of my dorm's hall.

lifelove'n'wine said...

Do it! It's so worth it:)