Tuesday, August 25, 2009

How I ended up on the side of the road in my bathing suit for 9 hours or How Lake Champlain stole from me Part III

For those keeping track, our time on the phone with AAA was hour ONE OF NINE.

I handed the cell phone back to the kindly staff girl and apologized for how long I had used her phone. Geoff and I then sat on a log on the side of the road by the entrance to the park and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Most of this waiting was done in complete silence. Geoff never once said "How could you DROP THE KEYS IN THE LAKE??? YOU'VE RUINED OUR DAY!!" I'm pretty sure he could tell I felt bad enough all ready.

"I hope we make it to Brad's camp tonight" I said. We were supposed to drive back to Maine that night and party with his friends at one of their camps on Sebago Lake. It's always one of the top three get-togethers of the summer.

"Me too. We'll just get there late...no problem."

After what seemed like an eternity of waiting, I had Geoff ask the staffer that had just relieved cell phone girl for the time. It had been 2 hours since we got off the phone with AAA.

"Should we call them back?" I asked him. He asked the girl if there was a phone anywhere at the park. There was...by the beach. The beach it took us forever to walk up from. Geoff left to go make the call while I stayed by the road to wait for the truck.

I have to say I felt pretty ridiculous sitting on a log, in my bathing suit, watching people come and go from the park. But I had more pressing matters on my mind.

Almost an hour later, Geoff came back. "They found a locksmith but he's not sure he wants to drive over here on a Sunday. We might have to stay at a hotel or something tonight and he'll come in the morning."

I wanted to cry. "Ok...what about the AAA truck coming to unlock the car?"

"They said they'll be here as soon as they can."

"We've been waiting almost three hours!!!"

"I know, babe."

Silence. We waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Another hour had passed. It started to rain. Only a small shower, but still. I looked at Geoff and almost burst into tears, but laughter came out instead. I couldn't believe it. After another couple of minutes Geoff walked back down to call AAA.

I watched more people come and go, feeling ridiculous. One guy who had arrived just after Geoff left and was leaving before he came back approached and asked if I was ok.

"I'm just waiting for AAA, thanks."

"You sure? Do you need a ride or a phone?"

"Thanks, but my boyfriend is on the phone now."

I was appreciative that someone thought to ask if I was all right. Geoff finally came back. "Grab your towel, we're going to the car."

"What's going on?"

He shook his head in disgust. "I called again and after 5 minutes on the phone the agent said, 'Oh! You need someone to come unlock the car??? We thought you just needed a locksmith! We'll send someone right away!!!""

I stared at him in disbelief. "Are you f------ kidding me? What the hell is wrong with them?"

He shrugged. "They'll be here any minute and the locksmith said he'll be here in about 2 hours. They want us to wait with the car instead of by the side of the road." The car was halfway between the entrance and the beach. We walked. Then we waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And then, I kid you not, I started. My. Period.

I got very teary. Luckily I had a towel and it wasn't too bad.

We continued to wait.

"Oh for F---'s sake!" Geoff grumbled before heading back down to the phone.

I waited alone.

He returned awhile later kicking rocks and fuming.

"What??"

"I asked where the hell they were and they said 'oh our truck got to the park entrance but no one was there waiting for it so it left about 10 minutes ago.'"

I burst into tears. "I thought they wanted us to wait by the car?!?!"

"They did. They're morons. Anyway, you stay by the car. The locksmith should be here soon. I'm going to the gate to wait."

"Oh..ok." I sniffled.

Geoff stormed off.

I waited.

And waited.

I hadn't peed in hours. I finall hid behind the car and squatted. It would have been nice to have a GoGirl then! At this point it was dark outside, and I sat on the grass and leaned against my car, head in my hands. I was relatively sure that we would be spending the night sleeping on the ground by the car.

3 comments:

Zoe Right said...

If ever there was a need for a "Poor Baby" this was it! I wasn't there at the time but I'm giving you one retroactivley.

What a good guy to not give you a hard time.

I once locked the keys in the car at the midnight drive-in- alone with my two elementary aged children. AAA finally came but it took them two hours which in kid time is 7 weeks.

lifelove'n'wine said...

Haha, thanks. At least we can laugh about it now!

And waiting for two hours with little kids sounds about the same as 9 hours in just a bathing suit. Damn you AAA!

Courtney said...

Awww oh no! Periods always wait til the worst time to start. They suck!