Friday, August 21, 2009

How I ended up on the side of the road in my bathing suit for 9 hours or How Lake Champlain stole from me Part II

The keys were gone.

At this point I was near tears, but I had not yet fully realized the reality of this situation. Our laughs and smiles gone we continued to swim toward the beach in silence. When we finally arrived we stumbled across the rocks and looked at each other. "What are we going to do?" I whined asked calmly.

"We'll walk up to the front gate and see if they have a phone we can use to call AAA."

So in our wet bathing suits, carrying our wet towels, we started trudging up the hill to the gate which was about a mile away. By the time we got there we were hot and more sad than before. There was one girl about my age working in the tiny stall. Slowly I approached her and said "Hi. Um...is there a phone we can use?"

"No, we don't have a phone here, sorry."

"Oh." Pretty sure I got a little teary-eyed here.

"Is everything ok?"

"Well...um...we...we dropped our keys in the lake."

Silence.

"You...dropped your keys in the lake?"

"Yes," I sniffled. "And our phones, clothes, food, wallets, etc. are locked in the car."

"Oh my gosh! You can use my cell phone if you want!"

"Really? Thank you so much!" I felt a little better now. Soon everything would be resolved.

I used her phone and called AAA. This is where all the fun begins.

An agent answered and listened to my story. He seemed sympathetic, but when I gave him our location he said "WHAT??? I'm in California! How did you get this branch?"

Taken off guard I muttered "I...I have no idea! The person's cell phone I'm using must be a CA number."

"I'll transfer you to your local branch and they'll help you with everything ok?"

"Thanks!"

Then I was on hold for about 5 minutes. Finally a girl who sounded about 16 answered the phone. I briefed her on the situation and told her we needed someone to come unlock our car and a locksmith who could make us a new key. All seemed well and fine...then she asked for the address.

I turned to the staffer who's cell phone I was STILL using. "What's the address here?"

"Well, there isn't really an address. It's just Red Rocks Park. We're off of (something) road."

I repeated this information to the agent...who was in Maine by the way. We were in Vermont remember.

"Um...oh...um...I need an actual address to give to the driver."

"I don't have an address to give you. Anyone in Vermont will know where this park is...just tell them we're at the entrance to the park."

"Ok...um...I need an address."

Sigh. I gave her directions to the park from the main road in Burlington. This apparently was still not enough. After more back and forth she said "Let me put you on hold while I talk to my supervisor."

SIGH!!! "Ok."

Another 10 minutes go by. I am STILL on this poor girl's cell phone. I keep repeating how sorry I am and I'm not sure why it's taking them so long, etc. The AAA Agent finally returns.

"Hi. Ok, and how will you be paying the locksmith?"

"We'll use a credit card."

"Ok, what's the credit card number?"

Silence.

"My wallet is in the car. Which is locked. I can call with the information once one of your trucks comes to unlock the car though."

"Oh...um...hmmm. Well I'm supposed to get the payment information ahead of time."

"Ok...I don't really know what to tell you. My wallet is locked in my car."

"Uhhh...ok. Let me put you on hold while I go talk to my supervisor."

"Can I just talk to your..." Too late. I'm on hold. And...the battery on the cell is starting to die. I had been EXTREMELY polite to the girl, though I wanted to cry and scream in frustration. 15 minutes later, she returns.

"Hi. Ok. Umm...I still need an address for the truck though."

"I...I...Are you..." I handed the phone to Geoff as I was shaking too much with frustration to finish the conversation and I didn't want to yell at the poor girl.

After another 15 MINUTES on the phone (this cell battery was miraculously awesome btw) Geoff finally hung up. "She's sending a truck to unlock the car and it will be here in about an hour. They have to try to find a locksmith that we can get towed to or that will drive here on a Sunday."

"Ok."

For those keeping track, our time on the phone with AAA was hour ONE OF NINE.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness. This is sounds MISERABLE. How sorry I am for you :(

lifelove'n'wine said...

Haha, it's ok. It was over a year ago and now it's (kind of) funny.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

This sounds like something I would do. I can't even imagine though... My husband would KILL me!

lifelove'n'wine said...

I know, I kept waiting for Geoff to say something. He didn't though, thank goodness. I think he could definitely tell I was already feeling pretty bad.

Gina said...

I have to admit... I was laughing as I read it. It's so fatefully funny that you would drop your keys in a place with no address and all your belongings in a vehicle. I am really sorry that had to happen to you... but it really makes a great story!

lifelove'n'wine said...

Hi Gina, welcome to my blog!

Haha, I know. As we recounted the story to family and friends in the weeks after it happened they all said I have to write this down. I kind of wish I had done it a year ago though! Some parts are hard to remember now.

I look forward to checking out your blog!